Most people will go into business because they are passionate about their product or service, not because they are passionate about being in sales. However, if you’re not selling – you don’t have a business… you have a hobby. If you’re in business we all need clients and that involves sales and marketing. More over – it involves following up on leads. But very few business owners actually follow up; why is that?

For many the idea of being in sales fills them with images associated with the kind of “in your face, pushy, fast-talking salesman nobody in their right mind wants to be. So they would rather wait for the client to come back when they’re ready and not appear pushy.

Only 2% of customers will buy on first contact. Therefore if you don’t follow up – you could be leaving 98% of your potential orders on the table for a competitor to pick up.

Following up is crucial and it’s one thing most businesses are really bad at.

Here’s a solution for you and one that I use all the time to take the stress out of selling and insure that I follow up with everybody that demonstrates an interest in how I could help them in their business.

An Autoresponder.

What is an autoresponder? An autoresponder is probably one of the most important marketing tools you can have on-line. It’s how you build an opt-in list of prospects that identify themselves as being interested in whatever product or service you have on offer. It’s the way you can create an email database that will allow you to build a relationship with interested parties.

People need to build trust in you and your knowledge before they are ready to purchase from you. They need several contacts with you before they are ready to buy and autoresponder takes all the pressure off the sales process by letting you share useful and valuable information for free via email on auto pilot until the prospect is ready to trust you and buy from you.
 
As soon as you arrive on my website there’s an opportunity to download my free marketing strategies – that’s my autoresponder. The way to gather email addresses is to give things away for free: free reports, free e-books, free access to private websites. Don’t be tempted to offer a conditional give a way such as a discount voucher… only redeemable when they purchase one of your products. FREE, means no charge. Don’t create barriers to getting people to opt-in. What you offer must be of value.

Your goal is to get people to sign up to receive your info, and to agree to receive email from you in the future! This way, you create a win-win situation. The person that’s subscribing gets a valuable freebie and you get his or her name and email address, and most importantly, permission to email them in the future.
 
Don’t waste opportunities, but put them all in automatic mode with the use of an autoresponder on your website.